Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Life and Death of Yeast...

I realize that yeast usually has negative connotations scripturally. But I am pondering it in a more positive note today and was struck by the very fascinating idea that we humans have a lot in common with yeast. Yep. We are created by God--we live--we reproduce--create cultures and build cities--and we die. But there is new life after death through Christ.
I made bread today as I do every week, and today for some reason, I decided to watch the yeast bowl as I waited for it to do its little yeasty business. At first there's a wave of doubt: was the water too hot? not hot enough? It just seems to sit there. Then, suddenly... explosion! Life springs forth and suddenly I am watching civilizations bloom and spread out to conquer the surface of the water, right before my eyes. They are fat and sassy, having fed upon the bit of sugar in the bottom of the bowl. And right there in that cereal bowl is the story of humanity. "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." Well, the cereal bowl with water isn't exactly the same as our planet with land, sea, and sky. However, the yeast does indeed become fruitful and multiply and subdues its environment, taking dominion. It happens so fast, and I watched as it went through the entire cycle of life and death right there in my little kitchen. It took under five minutes. But then I thought "Isn't that a great metaphor for our relationship to God?" From His perspective we are yeast. We live and die in the blink of an eye. And yet, He gave us eternal life in Christ. We rise again as new men and women. That yeast has to die in order to rise again as my finished loaf of bread. Did it know what it was going to achieve? Did those little yeasts have families and jobs and houses and pets? (hmmmm...yeast pets. Odd thought. :)) Did yeast fathers worry about promotions and the economy? Did the yeast mothers sigh because the chores just never end? Did the yeast offspring whine about the fact that they were having sugar AGAIN? Sounds rather ridiculous if you stretch the metaphor like that, but then aren't we just as ridiculous when we do such things in a universe made by a perfect God?
I don't say all this because I am feeling I have achieved some perfect housewife moment. I almost feel hypocritical writing it, but the lesson was too strong for me to stay silent. Making bread is only one thing of many I need to do today, (and I really do enjoy it :)) and it can be tempting to feel like everything needs to be done at once. But the big picture of our lives in Christ needs to be brought to bear when it seems as though we will be overwhelmed with our tasks. Our Father never gives us anything that is beyond what we can bear. And my life is certainly not overwhelming. Not even stressful at this time. In the eternal perspective, I am as yeast which is not yet bread. Life will go by very quickly and I, along with countless others, will be a fresh loaf.  But I'm glad that I paused over the yeast bowl today. I appreciate these small reminders and I know it's no accident I receive them. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment