Sunday, March 11, 2012

Being fruitful and multiplying...while single!

Do I have your attention with that title? Sounds a bit scandalous I admit. But give me a chance to explain. :) In the way that one's brain does, mine was meandering around this morning in the thought department, happily thinking of this and that and for some reason, I started pondering some former students who have become teachers. I'm very proud of all my students in the different professions and studies they are doing. But in the way that parents are deeply pleased when their son or daughter shares their interests and possibly, profession--you know the 'Smith and Sons' sort of pride--I have to admit I deeply love seeing which of my students are teaching and where they are hired. It's lovely to see the second generation of classically educated kids hitting the classrooms once more to build further upon our foundations. 
Are you with me so far? My brain then pondered the way God had placed me in the lives of so many students (I hope for good!!) and the rather scary responsibility I had in affecting their lives through education and also in the way I lived before them. And now that I have my own child, this responsibility has increased 100 fold! It is a great and awesome thing to raise a child in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.
And THIS thought led me to one that I had many times before getting married: God calls us to be fruitful and multiply, but how do I, as a single woman, achieve such a thing? How do I feel that I am growing the church, when I have no husband or children? It was often a rather depressing thought. I definitely struggled with singleness in my later twenties as a  Christian, watching others lead fulfilled lives with husbands and children. It was so clear cut: they were fulfilling Scripture and I wasn't. Right? I felt like a second class citizen in the church--not really doing what I felt God had for most of us women and yet knowing I couldn't do anything about it. (Unless I became a mail order bride, but that didn't really appeal. :)) Now those of you more mature than I are thinking to yourselves "Carolyn, of course you couldn't do anything since God has it in control. You needed to have faith that He had your story written the best way." You're so right. But that advice can be hard to heed in the midst of struggle (especially from all the well meaning, but married people) and I had some lessons to learn on contentment and faith. And eventually, God gave me the gift of realizing how I could be fruitful and single at the same time.
I was impacting students every day, sometimes successfully, and sometimes not. There were days I had to seek forgiveness from my students. There were days where I was so proud of various students I was moved to tears. There were days that I was so frustrated with some of them I wanted to put a hole in the wall (or desk, or picture, or whatever object was handy). I had days of scintillating conversations surrounding history and literature and I knew my students were all brilliant.

I had days where I wondered if anyone was awake and whether I had the remotest idea of what I was doing. Teaching really is the 'best of times and the worst of times'.
 Lying in bed at night, I would worry about some kids and choices they were making and how I could help them. I enjoyed celebratory hugs over various achievements.

 I prayed with kids whose lives were falling apart. I ate lunch with them. I played with them. I talked with them, argued with them, and saw them almost every day. I tried to keep them accountable in the Lord and I asked for the same from them. I was convicted by them, and humbled by them. In short, I was feeling and experiencing many of the things that a parent would.

I hope this doesn't sound arrogant. I am not claiming that I was on par with their parents. But I was working 'in loco parentis' and supporting them in raising these kids. And if that isn't being fruitful and multiplying, I don't know what is.

Am I saying that all single women should become teachers? No. But they can be fruitful in their churches and communities in the way that they impact the lives of co-workers, friends, other people's kids and more. If you are living faithfully in Christ, seeking ways to serve Him and those He puts in your way, you are fruitful. You may even be multiplying whether you know it or not. You could impact someone who later turns to Christ due to contact with you.
Singleness can be a real challenge; I know. But never believe that you aren't able to be a fruitful member of God's church. (And if I may say, being a teacher is the best profession! :))

No comments:

Post a Comment