Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Fearful and Wonderful

One of the things about having kids? Boy do things in the media regarding children really hit you between the eyes. Of course there are all the appeals to give £2 to this cause in Africa and £3 pounds to the other cause in India and so on. And yes, I am sympathetic but I can't help but see the massive hypocrisy in such appeals. And the UK and the US are the biggest hypocrites of them all. Why do the lives of those children matter so much more to our cultures than our own children? Why do their big eyes and swollen tummies affect us? Why, when they're fed well and they smile at us from the television in gratitude, do we feel a surge of self righteous satisfaction? We did some good after all and saved them from starving.
But why? If they had been in the womb at the time of the appeal, we wouldn't have bothered sending help. Likely our governments would instead continue educating Africa, and India and numerous other cultures around the world about the benefits of aborting these children in the first place. Then they wouldn't starve and other people could have food so it's a win/win right?
I watched a documentary today about saving lemurs in Madagascar. I'm all for conservation, don't get me wrong. But I was again struck by our hypocrisy. I listened as this scientist, who has dedicated his life to this research, strove to protect a very endangered band of lemurs, and in particular he wanted to protect a mother and her unborn child. He got rather emotional about it and was so pleased that this mum was pregnant since it meant hope for the species. And I thought to myself, 'why do we go to great lengths to save that baby?' That guy was potentially risking his life in an unstable part of Africa. Why is that lauded and praised, but when Christians bring up the murder of unborn human children in an effort to protect them, we are ridiculed and accused of oppressing women? Why do other CHRISTIANS get embarrassed for us and squirm if we talk about this hideous wrong too openly? If there is a time for righteous anger, this is the time.
Living here in the UK, I am not only deeply grieved, I will admit I am rather furious with Christians who have long ago given up the fight against abortion. It is not an issue in politics at all. No one running for office here, would worry about using it as a platform. The church doesn't teach on it. Or, if various lone vicars do, they are slapped with lawsuits, or, at the very least, with the cold disapproval of their very virtuous middle class congregations. One shouldn't discuss such unpleasant topics after all. Another cup of tea please. 
At least it is still an issue in the public forum in the US. But we are just as guilty if not more so, of blood. Please don't think I hold our country as more righteous than the UK. And if nothing changes, Christians in our country will become just as lethargic about abortion as they are here.
I have a son. He has ten small toes. He has ten fingers that wrap around one of mine or Mark's. He's had those since he was 9 weeks old in the womb. He is learning to laugh now and he smiles such a big smile that it fills half his face. He gives me that smile when I come into his room in the morning and when I get him up from naps. He cuddles with us and sleeps on Mark's chest. His eyelashes are long and stand out on his cheeks when his eyes are closed. He kicks with his feet in the bath so that he can smile at the splash. He is learning something every day. I love watching him. And he loves watching me. And I think to myself, 'how, HOW can we live with ourselves, knowing that millions and millions of children never got to kick their bath water?' They will never wrap their hands around someone's finger. They can't smile at faces. They had all the ability to do so by 20 weeks in the womb. But they were not given that opportunity. They were murdered before any of us could witness it.
I could weep thinking about this. I have to remember that God is a Father. That He has those babies with Himself. But He will also judge us, us Christians, for standing by as the helpless were killed. I pray that future generations will study this as the greatest and most awful genocide the world has ever known. I pray that my son's generation will witness the end to this. One way or another it will end. But God is not mocked and He will deal with this sin. And the church will be the first to have to answer Him for it.
"I will give thanks to you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; wonderful are your works and my soul knows it very well." Psalm139:14

1 comment: