Monday, September 27, 2010

Here comes the rain, duh duh duh duh....

So I felt I should let everyone know that yes, we are still alive. Sorry for the delay in posting but Mark's computer went to the computer hospital last week and is still awaiting a checkout date. Pleasingly, it is still under warranty and so the hospital stay is covered. I feel in some way it is my fault his computer is in the hospital. I was the one using it when it decided to freeze up after all. All I did was turn it on and look at a recipe site. And then it just froze. So for those of you interested, yes, my power over computers is still very much present and dangerous. :)
But that is not very fascinating to read about so we shall move on. I almost considered not posting because I have some lovely pictures from an adventure I took last week, and I didn't want to go out of chronological order. (The history teacher in me is twitching a bit) But, I thought to myself, it has also been awhile since posting and a kind friend has allowed me use of her computer so I decided to let the world know that the Wilsons are indeed still bopping about Bristol.
Actually, this past weekend, we bopped about London on a very lovely day and for a great reason--we were welcoming the Newmans back to the UK. I found this particularly appropriate since I was also at their going away party in the US. :) But we went to a lovely home in the north part of London and I got to meet a lot of Daniel and Mark's friends as well as be re-united with Brooke and relax in the comforting and clear sound of an American voice. I have beent trying to explain to people that I am not the one with an accent, but they don't believe me. :)
I am really starting to appreciate Bristol as I get to know it better, and in fact even went a bought a small little pocket book guide for touristy things to do in the city. However, it amuses me that most of these things the natives haven't even seen! I'll mention some restaurant or market I want to go to and the typical response is 'I've never been there either! I should check it out too sometime!' I have now taken the bus on my own to numerous locations in the city and am feeling a bit more confident with it. But I'm also enjoying my daily walks, both for pleasure and necessity, and it must be admitted I'm enjoying the way my cloths fit as well as enjoying the scenery. :) I'm also more used to walking on sidewalks with cars parked half on the street and half on the sidewalk. Standard procedure if  you're going to leave room for a car to get by on the street. Note I said A car, as they may technically be two way streets but in order to do that, one person has to pull over in some gap to let the other pass. I'll do another blog on the intricacies of Bristol driving. It will take time to explain.
I'll just end by noting that today was delightfully misty and made me think of the poem which has the line 'misty, moisty weather' (Robert Louis Stevenson?) Anyway, I liked wearing a scarf and gloves and braving the elements for my groceries. :)
Hopefully I can post pictures soon and I shall share my recent adventures. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment