Thursday, September 9, 2010

Packing to pop over the Pond

I thought it would be good to initiate my very first blog with a post before I travel to England and my new home in Bristol. I have always had the idea of blogging once I was married, lurking around in the back of my mind, and behold the time has come! Computers and I still have a shaky relationship at best, and I am still figuring out the intricacies of setting up a blog, but my youngest sister has been extremely helpful in getting this started, so here I am!
It may strike you as odd that I am travelling on my own. This is for the very good reason that I had to wait for my British visa to arrive in order to go and join my husband. You see, I am American and he is British (Irish-British just so we're being accurate here) and thus numerous paperwork hurdles had to be overcome in order for me to join him in the lovely British Isles. In fact, so much paperwork was done, I feel that if I laid it all end to end, I could walk from Moscow, Idaho, to Bristol upon it. But it is finally complete and tomorrow I board a plane for my new country. This is not to say I am forgetting my original country or renouncing citizenship. Far from it. As the song says, "I'm proud to be an American" but I'm also pleased to go and live in our mother country and call it my home, because my heart is truly there.
So this blog shall humbly chronicle our life in England and the adventures my husband and I intend to have beyond British shores as well. We both have a yen for travelling you see, and so we intend to go forth and view as much of the world as we possibly can. This may involve dragging various offspring around with us so that we can all gawk at things historical, cultural, and gastronomic.
But in this post I shall bid my beloved home country farewell. Roots are difficult things to pull up when they go deep, and I am finding this hard to do. At the same time, good strong roots can be transplanted successfully and flourish in a new place, and I look forward to flourishing in a country that has the joys of tea, Chesterton, Oxford and of course, her Majesty, the Queen.
Good-bye dear old US of A. Until we meet again...

9 comments:

  1. Nicely said! I will so enjoy reading your blog. I do think that flying through Boston to and fro would be a great idea! Much joy to you and Mark as you start this wonderful life together.

    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will be my stress relief everyday after school. I love reading about your life...:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog. What an outstanding idea. It will be fun to keep up with your new life. All the very best to you and Mark. Married life is grand; I can say that with 30 years of experience!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just been so intrigued by what little I know of your story and I am so thrilled you will be starting this blog. I wish all the happiness in the world for you Carolyn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your roots do run deep and because of that...I can't imagine you pulling all of them up.

    I planted some mint this spring. It's in a container. After a few weeks I noticed that part of it was too long and didn't have very many leaves. I snipped it off and, just to see if it would take root and grow, I pushed it back into the ground. Today that "snip" is a plant all it's own with lots of leaves and it even has purple buds that are about to bloom.

    So Missy, just like my mint plant, you too have been snipped and about to be planted somewhere else to make new roots, flourish and bloom. You don't have to pull up all the roots completely, and like you said, that would be a hard thing to do.

    Go and plant your garden on the other side of the pond. Keep in touch, take care of your man and God Bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. your writing style appeals to me and I shall enjoy your posts...this former Air Force brat knows all about uprooting too. Beccy H.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Farewell my dear Carolyn. I am so glad you are doing this blog and will so enjoy reading it. Have a life full of adventures and love and I will watch and listen with joy. Hug England for me and keep watch! I will be on my way to you sometime - fair warning. I love you and think Mark is terrific. You will be deeply missed but along with that will be the thrill of knowing you are living the life you have longed for and God wants for you. God's richest blessings on you both.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! What a wonderful adventure you will be embarking on. I am envious! Keep us informed, I can hardly wait to read more! Love and Prayers, Joy and Jessica R.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking forward to following your adventures!
    Love you tons!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete