Tuesday, September 14, 2010

So it's raining....

Ahhhh..... red appliances.... :)

View of the garden behind us from our kitchen window
Looking out our livingroom window
The unpacking carnage
Why is this so pleasing? Anyone have a scientific explanation?
Tiny little oven, but notice the red pots!!!
This will no doubt come as a huge surprise to everyone, but it's raining right now. In England. What are the odds right? Actually, it's rather nice to look out the window and be reminded that I am in England. I can see tiled roofs and a fine sheet of rain--so fine that it almost can't be called by such a name, but this is very typical English weather for fall. It means that I can enjoy getting out spicey smelling candles and cook warm meals and really WANT hot tea.
Clearly, I am now on the other side of the Pond and am settling in to Bristol so I thought I would update. The first two days here were absolutely lovely with clear skies and sunshine. Mark and I walked to church on Sunday, and enjoyed the weather immensely as we did so. Yesterday was the first day of what we are calling 'real life' as Mark went off to work and I had my first day in my new flat. So I went to work and cleaned. Being that this is England, there are many older buildings that have been converted to flats and this is one of them. While there is a charm to this, it does mean that one finds many things to clean. One also finds funky uneven floorboards and heavy windows but I think this adds to the ambiance. I enjoyed taking dominion over our home and was rewarded with Christmas in September when my John Lewis wedding gifts arrived yesterday. Can you understand the happiness of opening numerous red appliances and putting away brand new dishes in your glass front cupboard? Or the knowledge that you may have registered for more wine glasses than you intended, but it's so lovely to see them fill the shelf and realize that you are READY for company! And I had the joy of cooking with my new red pots and pans yesterday. Thanks Millers and Monnettes!! I did indeed think of you.
I have also had fun walking around a bit and Mark and I discovered a very large grocery store near us. We didn't realize it was so close and this will make life much easier in the shopping department. It is called Tesco's and it was a pleasing revelation when we came across it on Sunday. I shall be making my second trip there today to grab a few more things that I couldn't carry yesterday.
You see, if I want to get around, walking is the best bet and I can't carry the groceries that Americans would put in their cars. Of course, our fridge won't HOLD the groceries Americans get, so this means more trips in the week to the store. But this is actually a benefit because it guarantees not only leg exercise, but arm strengthening workouts as well! :) Speaking of which, I need to move the laundry along, but here are some pics to give you an idea of our life. Toodle pip!

2 comments:

  1. Hooray for pictures!!!!!!! It looks really cute and charming! Love the gerbs - what a thoughtful guy!

    Missed you at the partay but glad you're settling in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, thanks for the pictures! So pleased you like the red pots & pans. :)

    ReplyDelete